Monday 21 June 2010

Step outside my comfort zone!

I enjoy crafts, I always have. The whole process of turning a pile of sometimes quite random stuff into something either useful or decorative gives me huge satisfaction and makes me feel like I'm bringing some sort of order into my life. I only really make things for myself, after all, I'm only me, I'm not special, why should I think my efforts are any good?

Last summer Mr Pixie and I attended a local country agricultural show, and there in a tent were the entries to the handicrafts competitions. There were some beautiful pieces of craftwork there, many of them similar to the kind of things I make. There and then I set myself the challenge of entering something into at least one of the classes this year, now the details have been published and it's time to get crafting!

There are sixteen handicraft classes in the show, my next step is deciding which I will enter. So far I have my eye on "a pair of knitted socks", "a piece of patchwork", "a handmade card", "a bag in any medium", "a cushion" and "a doorstop". If I had time I would enter every one of the sixteen classes! I also have a cross stitch I am working on, if I get it finished in time I will enter it for either "an item made from a kit" or "an embroidered picture".

I am now setting forth my intention to spend at least one hour per day working toward entering more than one well made item into this show. It's time to stop hiding my light under a bushel!

No comments:

Post a Comment