Saturday 5 June 2010

No Time For Romance by Lucilla Andrews

This is the memoirs of a girl who began nursing during World War II at the age of eighteen. Coming from a fairly sheltered background she found the reality of war and its injuries deeply affecting, helping her to grow as a person as well as a nurse. There were many humorous episodes described and some unique characters but always underlying these are the horrors of war.
My only criticism of the book was the way her husband's illness was dealt with (or not dealt with). I was curious about the nature of his sickness and wonder whether I missed the details of it, but I don't think I did. I felt quite humbled by the stoicism of the nurses described in this book, and by the courage shown by the injured servicemen.
Definity a book to read when in the midst of a pity-party!

No comments:

Post a Comment